A tool for teaching functional programming in Scala
A part of the Scales Project. This research was supported by NSF REU grant number CCF-0851812.
- Current version (November 12, 2009):
- What is Scala?
- "Scala is a general purpose programming language designed to express common programming patterns
in a concise, elegant, and type-safe way. It smoothly integrates features of object-oriented and
functional languages, enabling Java and other programmers to be more productive."
- What is Escalator?
- Escalator is the Educational Scala Text-and-Object Renderer. On the surface it may seem that
Escalator is just a text-editor and interpreter command-line in one program, but it has a number of
unique features which make it more suitable for teaching programming:
- Real-time, interactive visualization of data structures
- Literate Programming-style blending of text and code
- Declarative, compositional graphics and UI elements
- Reactive re-evaluation of expressions
- Screen Shots
- Introduction to Escalator (source)
- Binary search tree demo (source)
- Turtle graphics demo (source)